Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Newfie dialect

20080419_35b
Before coming to Newfoundland, I already knew that Newfoundlanders or Newfies are the subject of many jokes in Canada. Is their accent or dialect funny? I do not think so! They definitely have an accent. Sometimes I need to ask a question twice, because I have accent too, or ask them to repeat what they say! I think it is a universal thing that every nation makes fun of a minority and Canadians are not exception! Is it acceptable? of course not!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's ok to make jokes if it's someone making a joke about themselves.

Newfoundland is great, hey b'y :) I'm planning to come back when I'm done university.

I'll leave you with a quote that was in a poem a friend of mine wrote (it was about her uncle or something) "An' I says to George, I says...."

Unknown said...

I agree that there is nothing wrong with making jokes as long as it is not to undermine other people. I realized that many Newfoundlandrs like to return to NL after whatever they do in other places.